Sunday Sailing Options...Week 2

BUFFALO LAKE, BUFFALO, MN IS CURRENTLY UNSUITABLE! 5214 and I had one of those rare iceboating moments today inspecting Buffalo Lake... I am pleased to announce we did not go swimming today, although dressed to do so. The only thing that kept that from happening was our lack of ambition. The last hole we poked, keeping a safe distance, rescue lines at the ready... was clearly and unnervingly under 1.5 inches.
And that "little voice" was screaming...

BIG ICE UP NORTH Here's one plan under discussion. We have one big sheet of ice in hand and unsnowed upon with Lake Christina, One Promising though not quite ripe lake in Buffalo, needing a little time and temp before inspection... and we apparently lost North Long Lake near Brainerd from snow today.

So in order to accomplish both sailing on big fast ice, and sailing on the Primary Site for The Great Western Challenge... I nominate a trip to Minnewaska, Glenwood MN for a quick ice check in the Bay right out in front of Glenwood. If it passes, we set up and sail right there, saving one hour each way on the trip to Christina, which is where we'll go sailing if Minnewaska washes out.

What say?

Only a dusting of snow

A phone call to a motel in Alexandria, reported only a light dusting of snow late Saturday. Minnewaska should be fine also.

It did not snow in Glenwood or Fegus

Hitting the road 7:30 am


Fastest Route

I just consulted Google Maps... and am changing my route to Glenwood...

I 94 to Sauk Center, taking 28 to Glenwood. figure this eliminates 30 stoplights...


See you boys in Glenwwood

...or on Xtina


The BIG gray toy box is ready! Glenwood or Ashby will work - see ya there.


Plan to hit the road at sunrise. Are we going to stop in Glenwood or go straight to Christina Mile Post 8 ??

Wind at Christina!

Forcast is 20-30MPH NNW in the afternoon at Fergus and Glenwood!! Hope the 30% chance of snow flurries is 70% no snow.
Low tonight is only 26 so Buffalo will not make much ice and Swede won't hold the regatta. Only sensible solution is the Ice Makers. Leave for Glenwood at 7AM. They have a nice restaurant bar right in town on the water. Breakfast at 9:30! Check the ice and sail a big lake with ice before big winds hit. Back in time for the Vikes.


I don't think it will be that windy and it will build through the day. NOAAA/NWS, the source of almost all weather prediction models you see on the web, says 15-20 mph for late afternoon.

I'd like to sail some big ice somewhere.


Better wind forcast

This is the forcast on Sailflow in knots for Green Lake, just south of Glenwood. Direction is north but did not copy. Looks ideal for wind temp and moisture.

Date Sunday, November 30th
Time 12a 1a 2a 3a 4a 5a 6a 7a 8a 9a 10a 11a 12p 1p 2p 3p 4p 5p 6p 7p 8p 9p 10p 11p
Wind (kts) 5 4 3 3 3 4 4 5 6 8 9 11 12 12 13 13 13 13 13 13 14 14 14 14
Temperature (F) 30 29 29 29 29 29 28 29 30 30 31 33 34 34 34 34 33 31 29 29 28 28 27 26
Cloud Cover (%) 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100
Rain (in) 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
Visibility (mi) 6 9 12 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

here's why I think it's a good bet...

Looking at the Modis Imagery, Minnewaska and Christina are showing about the same color, the lakes with terribly thin ice like Buffalo, look the same color as ones known to be open water yesterday, i.e., Green Lake near Spicer. Local Ice Fishing Reports posted support the experiment.

I think we'll be fine there...


Green Lake ice -- Spicer

Green froze over sometime after dark fri 11/28 and sunrise sat 11/29. Yesterday afternoon I did see a couple open spots in the middle (small) filled with Canadians (birds). There are still a couple of slivers open out there now. Mels sport shop is the place to call 320-796-2000 or 2421 for ice fishing /depth data.


Breakfast at Glenwood

Minnewaska has such fond memories for me, cat sailing on water. Would love to glide on their ice. I leave at 7AM. Call me if plans change.There is a public access right in downtown Glenwood with a restaurant next door.